The competitive SILLC Global Award Fund benefits UA undergraduate students in good standing who are declared majors in any of the SILLC disciplines. Recipients must use the award the summer, fall, and/or spring immediately following date of the award.
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS 2019
Up to 2-3 awards of $1,500.00 - $2,000.00 each may be awarded in spring 2019 to participate in a UA-approved study or internship abroad program in summer 2019 or during AY 2019-2020. Please submit application materials no later than January 22, 2019, 5pm, to Ms. Stephanie Topete (email@example.com).
- The applicant must be a UA undergraduate student.
- Must be a declared major in any of the following SILLC disciplines (minors are not eligible):
- Africana Studies
- Classics (Classical Civilization, Greek, or Latin)
- East Asian Studies (Includes Japanese and Chinese)
- French and Francophone Studies
- German Studies
- Italian Studies
- Religious Studies
- Russian and Slavic Studies
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- No less than one academic year in residency left at UA before graduation at time of application.
To apply, please submit the following:
- Statement of intent (1-2 pages)
- Why do you qualify for this award?
- How do you plan to use it? Which UA-approved study or internship abroad program do you plan to pursue?
- How does this award apply to your long-term academic or professional goals?
- Describe any previous travel abroad experiences.
- One letter of recommendation from supporting faculty member (Sent directly from the recommender to email listed above).
- Unofficial UA Transcripts
Process and Selection
The SILLC Global Award Fund Selection Committee announces a call for applications every academic year in the fall. The Selection Committee reviews applications and meets in person once, no later than January 29, to make a final selection. The Selection Committee decides on the final number of awards based on the Fund’s balance and on the quality of applications. On any given year, the Selection Committee may decide not to give any award. Awards are announced in late January or early February.
Thanks to our Generous Donors
Dr. Alain-Philippe Durand and Dr. Lehman Benson co-created the SILLC Global Award Fund in 2010 and continue their annual commitment of $500. Since then, several other donors have joined them.
Africana Studies, aftucson.org, Alexandra Kennedy, Amy Jane (Anderson) Clashman, Bernice Martinez, Brigitta Lee, Classics, Critical Languages, Dian Li, East Asian Studies, French and Italian, German Studies, Jovan Ruvalcaba, Kim Jones, Mary Wildner-Bassett, moustachebooks.com French Books, Religious Studies, Russian and Slavic Studies
Dr. Lehman Benson (Associate Professor of Management at the UA Eller College of Management) and Dr. Alain-Philippe Durand (Dean, College of Humanities, and Professor of French) created the SILLC Global Award Fund by each pledging $500.00. Dr. Durand continues to pledge a minimum of $500.00 annually. Other UA faculty members and members of the community, and organizations regularly contribute to the fund.
All SILLC departments and programs each contributed $500.00 to jump start the program in 2011-2012: Africana Studies, Classics, Critical Languages, East Asian Studies, French and Italian, German Studies, Religious Studies, Russian and Slavic Studies.
Donors from the community (including beyond Tucson and Arizona) may contribute. Contact Info: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Karen Seat
PO Box 210105
University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ 85721-0105