The competitive SILLC Global Award benefits UA undergraduate students in good standing who are declared majors in any of the SILLC disciplines. Award amounts typically range from $1,500-$2,000 to support participation in a study abroad or internship abroad program approved by the University of Arizona's College of Humanities and/or Study Abroad office. Recipients must use the award the summer, fall, and/or spring immediately following date of the award.
Application Deadline: January 22, 2021
- The applicant must be a UA undergraduate student.
- Must be a declared major in any of the following SILLC disciplines (minors are not eligible):
- Africana Studies
- East Asian Studies (Includes Japanese and Chinese)
- French and Francophone Studies
- German Studies
- Italian Studies
- Religious Studies
- Russian and Slavic Studies
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- No less than one academic year in residency left at UA before graduation at time of application.
- Students must submit a statement of intent, which includes the following:
- At the top of your statement, please list 1) your name, 2) your major(s), 3) your planned study abroad program, 4) when you plan to study abroad (e.g., summer, fall semester, spring semester), and 5) your anticipated graduation date from the University of Arizona.
- In 1-2 pages, provide a detailed statement about your interests in studying abroad, including:
- Why you want to pursue this particular study abroad program.
- How this study abroad program will further your academic and career goals.
- What strengths and qualifications you have that will help you make the most of this study abroad opportunity.
- Please also note whether or not you have ever traveled or studied outside the United States (and if so, when and where).
The application requires a letter of recommendation from a University of Arizona faculty member. Applicants are strongly encouraged to request a letter of recommendation from a faculty member teaching courses related to their SILLC major. The letter of recommendation can be emailed directly to Stephanie Topete at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finally, applicants must submit a University of Arizona transcript. It is fine to send an unofficial transcript.
To apply, please email all application materials listed above to Stephanie Topete (email@example.com) by January 22, 2021.
Questions? Contact: Dr. Karen Seat, SILLC Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Process and Selection
The SILLC Global Award Selection Committee announces a call for applications every academic year in the fall. The Selection Committee decides on the final number of awards based on the Fund’s balance and on the quality of applications. On any given year, the Selection Committee may decide not to give any award. Awards are announced in late January or early February.
Thanks to our Generous Donors
Dr. Alain-Philippe Durand and Dr. Lehman Benson co-created the SILLC Global Award Fund in 2010 and continue their annual commitment of $500. Since then, several other donors have joined them.
Africana Studies, aftucson.org, Alexandra Kennedy, Amy Jane (Anderson) Clashman, Bernice Martinez, Brigitta Lee, Classics, Critical Languages, Deborah Kaye, Dian Li, East Asian Studies, French and Italian, German Studies, Jovan Ruvalcaba, Kim Jones, Mary Wildner-Bassett, moustachebooks.com French Books, Religious Studies, Russian and Slavic Studies
Dr. Lehman Benson (Associate Professor of Management at the UA Eller College of Management) and Dr. Alain-Philippe Durand (Dean, College of Humanities, and Professor of French) created the SILLC Global Award Fund by each pledging $500.00. Dr. Durand continues to pledge a minimum of $500.00 annually. Other UA faculty members and members of the community, and organizations regularly contribute to the fund.
All SILLC departments and programs each contributed $500.00 to jump start the program in 2011-2012: Africana Studies, Classics, Critical Languages, East Asian Studies, French and Italian, German Studies, Religious Studies, Russian and Slavic Studies.
Donors from the community (including beyond Tucson and Arizona) may contribute. Contact Info:
Dr. Karen Seat, email@example.com
Dr. Karen Seat
PO Box 210105
University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ 85721-0105